No announcement yet.

OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to? Vol. 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey there yogi - was listening to a Coasters hits package on the way home from work today. Was wondering if this was one of your bands back when. Lyrics are quite clever. The dude with the bass voice is fantastic.

Comment

• Awesome song by Boz Scaggs with Duane Allman. I had no idea they ever even played together!

Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 06-Mar-2019, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• Wow, great find WC. Enjoyed that a lot.

Comment

• I worked with a guy that loved Boz Scaggs and I wasn't a big fan the only album I have is Silk Degrees (just like you!) but after hearing him do some blues he has my attention

Comment

• Same for me. Most of what I heard of Boz Scaggs was Silk Degrees or later. Not something I pursued. But the track above is prime stuff. Not just the vocals & Duane's guitar, but I also really liked the organ that opened the song.

Here's another one of those "wow, that's him/her moments"... I was listening to the Clapton album There's One In Every Crowd", from you. Female vocalist caught my ear. It was Yvonne Elliman, the singer who's biggest hit was off the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. ??????? I knew she had her first break on Broadway as one of the leads in Jesus Christ Superstar, but that's it. Until I read up more on her, I had no idea she was in Clapton's band for 5 years.

Comment

• OK WC, more feedback. I'm starting to work through the Corey Stevens set of albums in my car. I listen to them from oldest to newest. His first album seemed like a Stevie Ray wanna-be. Not bad, but it just seemed like he was trying to emulate SRV a little too much. Just ran the 2nd one thru the car today (Road To Zen). Was very pleasantly surprised. He has taken the good from the first album and found his own voice. Liked it quite a bit. Will run it thru again in a few days, and am looking forward to what he has done next.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post
                OK WC, more feedback. I'm starting to work through the Corey Stevens set of albums in my car. I listen to them from oldest to newest. His first album seemed like a Stevie Ray wanna-be. Not bad, but it just seemed like he was trying to emulate SRV a little too much. Just ran the 2nd one thru the car today (Road To Zen). Was very pleasantly surprised. He has taken the good from the first album and found his own voice. Liked it quite a bit. Will run it thru again in a few days, and am looking forward to what he has done next.
                Funny you should say that. I was still in NY at the time the first album was released. I do not remember now which one; it was either "Blue Drops of rain" or "It's over" played on the radio in my car. I heard it like 4 times and thought it was Stevie Ray and that a new album of unreleased music was found but the DJ didn't say who it was. Finally, the 5th or 6th time I ended up late for a meeting with a client because I refused to get out of the car till the song ended and the DJ said who it was.

Comment

• I think you have mentioned in the past that MercyMe was one Christian band you have seen with your wife. Great cover here by them.

Comment

• One of my wife's favorite bands. Saw them in a post game concert after an Astros game, included in the ticket price. After the concert, there were band reps selling most of their different CDs for $5 each.

Comment

• West Coast Mets Fan
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, they always sell their CDs for $5; a couple of my collection were bought at a concert.

• If you skip the segment about Mexican food this is a pretty neat little set.

I saw Joe Walsh back in the 70s with the Charlie Daniels Band when Southern Rock was at its peak. Almost everyone was there for CDB and they played first. When Joe came out everyone was booing and wanted CDB to come back out. He was so professional and just kept playing while everyone was booing; by the 4th or 5th song people started realizing this guy was good and they were on their feet. I have never seen a performer turn a crowd around like he did that night. I have been hooked ever since!

Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 05-Apr-2019, 12:54 PM. Reason: added comments about seeing Joe live.

Comment

• Too bad she doesn't look like she is enjoying herself

Comment

• This has some stuff a little more my taste in music

Comment

• Sorry for the delayed response, life has just been super busy lately.

Catching up...

Joe Walsh also snuck up on me. But the more I listened, the more impressed I became.

The chick above in the videos... While her skill is amazing, after the first few minutes of each video, frankly, I was bored. Take out the "look how fast I can play" element of it, and she isn't saying anything. But I have never been a fan of 99% of the guitar shredders. As a counterpoint to her, check out the Joanne Shaw Taylor albums I sent. Great guitar, with tons of feeling behind it.

On a speed related aside, damn, it's hard to type fast when you are eating pistachios at the same time.

Got through 2 more of the Corey Stevens albums.

Getaway - my least favorite so far. Nothing wrong in particular, just a bunch of short country-ish pop/rock songs, nothing special. Glad this wasn't the first one I listened to.
                          Bring On The Blues - my favorite of his so far. Moved back to the early sound of the first two. The guitar playing was very good, and the songs were much better crafted. Liked it a lot.

Got the last one, Albertville, loaded into the car playlist for this week. Looking forward to it.

Comment

• speaking of Moonlight Sonata....I love the Piano Guys take on it:

Comment

• by the way...the Piano Guys isn't really just 1 guy:

Comment

Working...
                              X