X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to? Vol. 2

Great documentary about ELP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jicYGvCQ2R8
    Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 23-May-2018, 07:24 PM.

I listen to all sorts. My Spotify is as eclectic as my Audible 😁

Comment

Originally posted by witchit View Post
      I listen to all sorts. My Spotify is as eclectic as my Audible 😁
      Well, then you will fit right in. You should check out the "OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to?" thread at Mets Paradise. It was started by mjjm and contains lots of posts on various music. I look forward to your contributions here>

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

Well, then you will fit right in. You should check out the "OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to?" thread at Mets Paradise. It was started by mjjm and contains lots of posts on various music. I look forward to your contributions here>
        When I get past Captcha (which is currently not working on Mets Paradise) I will join in with that 😀

Comment

Originally posted by witchit View Post

When I get past Captcha (which is currently not working on Mets Paradise) I will join in with that 😀
          I knew it, you are a bot! abat is techie guy!

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post

That really tickled me 😂😂😂😂

Comment

Robert Downey Jr doing Driven to Tears:

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post

LMFAO!!!!!

Many thanks to WC for starting this here.

And just for the record, the Music thread at MP got over 26,000 views. Do we get a gold record or something for that?

Comment

Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

LMFAO!!!!!

Many thanks to WC for starting this here.

And just for the record, the Music thread at MP got over 26,000 views. Do we get a gold record or something for that?
                  Do you have an office so you can hang it on the wall?

Comment

Actually, I have a corner of the living room that is set up as my music area, but the available wall is covered with Mets memorabilia - autographed pics of Endy & Fonzie, a Mets dugout wall lineup card, a pic of us in the stands with Kevin Burkhardt (a really great guy), a pic of the Astros mascot hugging my wife in the stands (when I get my hands on that bastard!!!) & assorted other small things.

If we can finally get the damn townhouse sold, we already have a 3 bedroom one-story lined up. I have been told that my 4000 CDs, 2000 LPs, shelves of DVDs & books, along with my computer & small surround sound system will be evicted into one of the bedrooms, as a den.

Imagine my horror at the thought. Wait, I get to put all of my stuff together, custom build shelves, decorate with music & Mets stuff as I want?????? Oh, the pain, the pain.

I held out for a flatscreen TV.

Yes, she knows, but is willing to put up with it to get all my crap out of the living room (and dining room, and bedroom).

Comment

I guess my Joe Walsh reference was a little too subtle!

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post
                        I guess my Joe Walsh reference was a little too subtle!
                        Not at all. I can hear the lyric as I type. Well played WC.

Wife and I got married in Las Vegas, drove there. For our honeymoon, we dropped off the grid and took a leisurely driving tour through the southwest. Just kind of went where the car took us on a weeklong drive back to Houston. Left the Grand Canyon, catching I-40 west, heading for Carlsbad Caverns. Got tired, it was getting dark, rain coming, we just pulled off the very next exit, and got a room right off the highway service road. Next morning, got up to get breakfast & continue. All of a sudden, I pulled the car over in front of the "Apartments for Rent" sign and jumped out. Insisted that my wife take a picture of me. She couldn't understand why.

I was standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.

I still have that pic somewhere. I'm sure I'm wearing a Mets shirt in it. It will be on the wall in my den.

Comment

Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

Not at all. I can hear the lyric as I type. Well played WC.

Wife and I got married in Las Vegas, drove there. For our honeymoon, we dropped off the grid and took a leisurely driving tour through the southwest. Just kind of went where the car took us on a weeklong drive back to Houston. Left the Grand Canyon, catching I-40 west, heading for Carlsbad Caverns. Got tired, it was getting dark, rain coming, we just pulled off the very next exit, and got a room right off the highway service road. Next morning, got up to get breakfast & continue. All of a sudden, I pulled the car over in front of the "Apartments for Rent" sign and jumped out. Insisted that my wife take a picture of me. She couldn't understand why.

I was standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.

I still have that pic somewhere. I'm sure I'm wearing a Mets shirt in it. It will be on the wall in my den.
                          What about the girl in a flatbed Ford? Was she anywhere to be found?

Comment

Being that we were on our honeymoon, I didn't look for the famed girl.

Comment

OK, time for a lengthy post about music that most nobody has any great interest in. But what the hell!!!

My current lineup in the car - for reference, I put a small batch of music on the mp3, and listen to it through twice. I always play through new stuff twice. The first time, I find that an album is filtered through your expectations of what you think it may be. The second time gives more perspective, and I have found that once the newness is gone, I have really enjoyed stuff I initially wasn't all that impressed with. Also, if I have several from an artist that I haven't listened to yet, I will listen to them, in release date order working my way through their catalog on playlists.

In alphahysterical order....

The Bad Plus - For All I Care - a piano/bass/drums trio that does both their own stuff, and very re-worked versions of popular rock songs. First album that I had listened to by them, I wasn't all that impressed, but a repeated listening & another album, and I am very much on board with them, All 3 members contribute (as opposed to a more traditional jazz piano-led trio). Very creative, with some, at times, furious tempo playing. Have 6 more of theirs past this one, looking forward to them. All that being said, this one was a disappointment. They have a guest vocalist on this one. She sings in a very "affected" style that doesn't do much for me or the material. On this one, they sound like a mediocre cover band. Fortunately, I think this is the only album of theirs with a vocalist. Just doesn't suit the band.

Dee Dee Bridgewater - Elenora Fagan: To Billie With Love - Jazz vocalist with a strong r&b flavor on a tribute album to Billie Holiday. I have long been a fan of hers since the early 70's. Well delivered set, singing Billie songs with a modern sound. Enjoyed it.

Eric Gales - Middle of the Road - this dude can play some excellent blues/rock guitar. This is a 2017 release, a comeback of sorts after a drug problem. A little more restrained than his earlier stuff, but that is also likely due to him aging a little bit. The guitar work on this one is very good, without always being a screaming lead. However, check out his early stuff, much more guitar lead driven, will not disappoint. Very highly recommended, start with his early releases.

Buddy Guy - Icon - Well, when you are this good, you get to put out an album that says "icon", and nobody laughs. A collection of very early Buddy Guy singles & hits. Very good stuff. Sounds like an, well, you know, an icon.

Valerie June - Pushing Against A Stone - authentic sounding folk blues stuff. Out of the Appalachian style of folk blues, with a little gospelish flavor on a few cuts and some straight folk on others. Just not my cup of tea. Not bad music, very authentic sounding, just not something I will look for more of. Kudos to her though for putting out the kind of music she is feeling.

(continued nest post)

Comment

Working...
                              X